Monday, June 1, 2009

Chicktastic

A few weeks ago, we got to "chick sit" for our friends, the Taylors. They had hatched some chicks and were going to send them off to a farm after they grew a bit, and they needed someone to have them overnight. The kids were ecstatic! The hardest part was keeping the kiddos away long enough to let the chicks rest.
This experience made me think that maybe a pet sharing situation would work well for us. I just don't want to have the initial "of course we'll feed it and water it and play with it" for the first 3 weeks and then have the pet become mom's responsibility. But I have a couple more years before I have to give the kiddos a definitive answer -- I've told them that when Miles is potty trained we'll talk about pets. Lucky for me, boys potty train slower than girls, so I've been told. Of course, they have been talking about what they'll get since Miles was 1 month old. This morning there was a little controversy because Hannah wanted a mouse and Madelyn wanted a snake ... I'm sure you can see the problem(s) here.
Oh, and I need a good book club book. I have a couple of ideas, but wanted to know what all of you have been reading. Suggestions with a possible movie rating of mild PG-13 or less? With good discussion/book group theme possibilities? Thanks!

8 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

That is a really good idea with the pet sharing. Maybe for a fish, snake, or something that you could "let loose" in 6 months.

I know of a really good book, very exciting, and very clean- it's called Twilight.... haha ok I obviously think I am hilarious.

Have you tried the Goose Girl books? It's cute princess fiction series.

Summer said...

Sorry, my book club stinks. We're supposed to be reading the Three Musketeers. The Three Musketeers?!?!?!

And you are nice for promising a pet even in the future. My kids are going to be quite deprived of anything furry for as long as we're renting- which could be a good decade, ha. (Yeah- potty training is enough carpet stress- one thing at a time.)

Kell's Belles said...

We have a strict no pet policy at our house. Carter and I made a pact before we were married that we wouldn't have pets. He won a goldfish at work around Christmas. It died within a week. You can't violate a pact without paying the consequences. Whenever the girls ask for a pet, I tell them I already have enough wild animals running around here.

My book group read the BEST book this month. It's called Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I know you're probably nervous at reading suggestions coming from me, but I really think it's PG. It's just beautiful. And it's about a preacher! Plus, it won a Pulitzer Prize. Our group had a great discussion, too. I loved it!

Alisa said...

How Fun! Look at those smiles. And my goodness, Miles is looking so much like Matt. What a cutie!

The last book I read with my book club (which was before Nyla as born!) was "The Fire Within" it's about a couple who get in a plan crash and how they recover. It's quite inspiring and really eye opening. I had no idea how one would recover from burns like that. It will make you cry.

carter said...

What about "Peace Like a River", Kelly? We both read that recently. An immensely pleasurable read.

Three Musketeers?? That's awesome! I want to be in THAT book group. Of course, they chose the wrong Alexandre Dumas book....

Kell's Belles said...

Oh, yes! Carter is right. Peace Like A River is fantastic, too! It has a To Kill A Mockingbird kind of feel. It's one of my dad's very favorite books ever.

And I think I have you beat, Summer. My group is reading a Louis L'Amour this month. Let's just say it's not my favorite.

Kristen said...

How fun that you were able to "chicksit!" I wouldn't mind a dog but the kids need to be older - I agree wholeheartedly on the "after everyone is potty trained" theory - my boys weren't PT until they were 3.5 - 4. So maybe you've got a little while?

I'm searching for a book club book also and I'm not until September! I've been reading like crazy trying to come up with something good! I'm sure you'll pick a great one!

NatRat said...

I love it "chicksit" how cute is that. Good luck with the thought of becoming an animal owner...I think the most we will ever have at this house is possibly a fish.