Friday, March 12, 2010

To Immerse or Not To Immerse...


Okay, I'm opening myself up for a lot of info, but I'm wondering what people have heard about language immersion programs in schools. Madelyn has the opportunity to be involved in a Chinese Immersion program that runs 1st through 6th grade. They spend half the day in English-only, learning reading and language arts and half the day learning math and other core curriculum items in Chinese. I've heard that kids who are in an immersion program actually score better on standardized testing as well.
Any thoughts?

9 comments:

Summer said...

Wow- that sounds so cool! Are you stuck once you're in?

Kristen said...

Oh, that is a tough decision. Do they have test results from elementary school students who have completed the immersion program??? I have looked for that data. My children are too old to qualify for next year and Cameron has very mixed feelings about it. He went on a mission to Taiwan. He learned Mandarin Chinese. Talk to him on Sunday or give him a call!

Brett - Rachel B said...

What an amazing opportunity! Think of how she could benefit. I think if she wants to do it then go full steam ahead. She could even teach your family Chinese. I can imagine that being stressful, but if she wants to.... :) let us know what you decide!

Kell's Belles said...

I'm with Summer--do you have to commit to all six years right now? Can you try it out for a year? Seems like an amazing opportunity!

The Garber Family said...

They ask us to commit through sixth grade, but if they see a student is struggling, they certainly give the parents the option to opt out.

Hollie said...

Ask Stacy. Britta is doing it right now. I think they really like it.

holly said...

my cousin is doing it with her daughters with spanish. she and her husband both speak spanish in the home, so it is a little different! i think it is a great oppertunity to just try!!!! let us know what you decide!

Kristen said...

We are of the not to immerse camp here. I think there are sooo many other things I want to teach my children - Chinese is not at the top of that list. I picked up Spanish pretty quickly as an adult when I had to so I'm banking on my smart boys being okay doing the same for any language if needs be. I'd like them to get a firm grip on English before anything else.

That's just our family though - everyone has perfectly good reasons to do it or not to, it needs to be a good fit for you and your kids!

Katie Stoddart said...

Jeff's cousin lived down in Vegas and had her kids do that with Spanish. They moved up here about a year ago and are in a traditional school. She said that her kids are doing so much better now. Not that they had a hard time before, but they are happier and more out going. I also have a cousin that has one of her kids in the french program up in Layton and she absolutely loves it- I haven't asked her son what he thinks.
I guess you should just ask if she wants to do it or not.