Thursday, April 2, 2009

Training for the Olympics








What does Miles have in common with World Record holding Gold Medal Sprinter Carl Lewis? I'm hoping that his mother could tell me that whenever they entered a grocery store it was like the gunshot sounded and off Carl went. Confirm or deny Mrs. Lewis?
Anyhow, that's what Miles does in any store. Hannah and Madelyn? They stuck nearby, sitting in the little cart spot or walking near me. We enjoyed joking and tickling and talking while we had a pleasant visit to the grocery store. Miles? Not so much. I'm so preoccupied with his antics that I usually forget at least 2 items I needed. Running through aisles? Yes. Screaming for anything shaped like a ball? Yes. Occasionally wanting me to hold him WHILST manuevering an awkward car-shaped cart that I got for him to sit INSIDE of. Yes.
My training in Human Development did not prepare me for this scenario. Usually you ignore a behavior you want gone. Tantrums for instance...make sure the child is safe and then ignore. Step over them. Wear earplugs. etc. Can you do this method with runners? Nope. You'll lose a child forever. And then when you chase them down they think it's a fun game.
Time for a leash? Maybe.
Time for mom to stop shopping at the store with Miles until he's old enough to understand, "Stay with mommy OR ELSE..."
Probably.
We'll forgo Miles's Olympic Training until he's old enough to go to the track. Could someone explain this to HIM?

9 comments:

Kristen said...

I would bet that Mrs. Lewis had the same problem! Brady runs through the store and he is 8... Ok, it's because he is thrilled that I let him hunt down things on my list. Before you know it Miles will be helpful instead of causing problems but until you get to that point with him... Good luck and take lot's of deep breaths!

Heidi said...

If it makes you feel better, Oliver still gets a running start through the store and then leaps onto the cart with a huge grin on his face. The best store for carts that "ride well" is IKEA...Maybe he'll never grow out of it but someone will one day love him and tolerate it :)

Summer said...

OH annoying. We just did the whole time-out thing with the twins hard core for the first time yesterday. They wanted to play outside, I wanted to clean the kitchen. So we tried a compromise- I watched them play outside through the kitchen window. But the neighbor's yard is so appealing, and running over to grab a handful of potting soil only takes three seconds when you live two feet from your neighbor.

Anya didn't get it. she kept sneaking over there, laughing when I called her name, laughing harder when I told her to stop, and then crying when I brought her inside for time out. We count 1,2 and then say "that's 3 timeout." She FINALLY figured it out after about five timeouts in an hour. I didn't get a lot of kitchen cleaned.

Maybe you can take him to the store instead of the park, and it can be time-out practice- haha.

Alisa said...

I'm so glad you write these stories down. You'll have to remind Miles about his younger self when he is much too cool to want to go grocery shopping with mom.

Summer said...

Ha ha- apparently he already thinks he's too cool to shop with mom... ;D

Kell's Belles said...

I refuse to shop with kids right now. WAY too hard :) We end up in a fight because Chloe wants to ride in the cart (yeah, in the infant seat) and Sadie wants to run around, Miles-style. It just doesn't work. So frustrating!

The Garber Family said...

I guess on the plus side, I won't go shopping on a whim just because I'm board and want something to do...Maybe this will save us some money right now!

Emily said...

The kids always want to sit in those huge grocery carts...so I give in thinking they'll actually sit and stay seated in them. Moments later they almost always want out. A leash may just be the way to go. But I'm not sure how to curb the tantrums...??

NatRat said...

Oh good luck with that Kiley. Bode is going to be the pro runner of the special olympics. I can't go any where with him when he is not in a cart or a stroller, or I am running to chase him. I tried the leash thing too, didn't work so hot, I felt I was strangling him because he would still try really hard to get away. Let me know if you figure anything out:)