Friday, August 7, 2009

Middle Child Kindergartener

My Madelyn started Kindergarten this week. Sadly, I have no pictures of the actual day. I told Matt he could take the camera to Scout Camp this week, forgeting that Madelyn had her big day. Hopefully some of my friends who were there will take pity on me and send me pictures they took! The middle-child thing is real. I'm going to have to try harder to make it not so real.

I was feeling quite excited for Madelyn to start school. She and I certainly understand the phrase, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." But as I listened to "The Kissing Hand" and watched her sitting at her first story time in Kindergarten, I got emotional. It's not being away for 3 hours a day. It's not that teachers will now play a very important role in her life, edging out a little of my influence. It's that it's change. Things have to change, whether we're ready or not.

I was so proud of her as she completed her first assignment, quickly, efficiently, and well. I guess I've been so focused on how physical and dramatic she is that I didn't realize what a great student she is, too. She's ready! Am I?

5 comments:

Kell's Belles said...

Is it wrong that I have a paper chain countdown to the first day of school? We still have a couple more weeks . . . Chloe and I are the poster children of the whole "Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" movement :)

Good luck to Madelyn! It looks like she's going to be quite the kindergartener!

Summer said...

Oh wow!! Congratulations Madelyn! That's the prettiest picture of a kid on a bus that I've ever seen! ;) It's going by so fast, their babyhoods. Crazy.

Kristen said...

The middle child thing is very real! Wish it wasn't! I try hard to not let it happen but everyonce in a while I really slip up! Your slip up is minor, don't worry! She is such a cutie!!!

Hollie said...

I'm a middle child and it's a real thing. But don't worry about it too much, it will make Madelyn a lot stronger. Glad you didn't burst into tears, I think I will the day my kids leave me for kindergarten.

NatRat said...

Oh man, I hated the first day of Kindergarten...it is so hard to let them go. It is good for them though. Congrats Madelyn I am sure your doing awesome!