Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sleepless in South Jordan

Well, I don't really live in South Jordan, but "Sleepless in Riverton" didn't have quite the same ring. Is anyone else getting up with at least one of their children each night, although they have no infants anymore? Friday morning, I had not one, not two, but all three children awake and crying from 4:15 till about 5:00. Then tossed and turned because I was worried they'd get up again. I wasn't the nicest mom the next morning. And it's ruining my diet. I'm stressed and tired, so I eat.

Really, how do you get around the "I'm scared" thing? They're talking to the numero uno scaredy cat. I can't sleep for weeks after a scary movie -- "War of the Worlds" just about put me over the edge and I still have flashbacks of "Signs" now and again. I think they know they can get me with that.

Any ideas?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Ugh! Not fun. I am in no way advocating this for you, but honestly, I was a big baby until I got Dudley, the world's wimpiest, but very scary sounding dog. Just one snuggle from him and I'm good to go. As for the kiddos? No clue. Sorry. That is unless you don't mind a drop or two of Benadryl...but that would be inappropriate of me to suggest, so you didn't hear it from me. And yes, right now I'm Sleepless in Salt Lake. That's what a two hour nap on Sunday does to the system. Speaking of Benadryl... It's going to be one ugly Monday morning.

Hollie said...

I have no idea, Drew is playing the "I'm scared" card right now too. All I do is let him leave lights on, but luckily he only does it when I'm putting him to bed. I think the best thing I had when I was a kid was a big teddy bear that I honestly believed would fight the monsters away at night while I was asleep. You could give that a try. Oh and we do say prayers with Drew and ask Heavenly Father to help him not be scared... he likes that.

Summer said...

Mia started waking up around 5 to yell that she wanted her door open. We were having a heckuva time putting her down at night, too- she said the "shadows" were in the room. Now, we're letting her fall asleep in our bed while Zach studies in there. with the understanding that she will wake up in her bed. We left her door open the first couple of nights, but then started closing it so the babies wouldn't wake her in case they woke up at 5-ish, which they do sometimes. She has slept til after 7 for about a week.

We have no idea why the babies sometimes woke up so early (with poopy diapers?!)and why they suddenly started sleeping til 7:30- but it they all started doing it at the same time, so we're wondering if maybe Mia wasn't waking them somehow.

Good luck. We have to change out "tactics" every few weeks it seems- to accomodate the latest cold, tooth, trip, missed nap...

Stacy said...

One thing I have learned about sleep habits and kids, unless you indulge it is usually just a phase and won't last forever. Jackson still falls asleep with his light on though. Britta plays the scaredy cat card, which I think is genuine. I tell her she has to go to sleep in her bed but if she wakes up in the middle of the night scared she can come and sleep on my floor. The floor thing works pretty good, because it eases the fear, yet still gives me my space and I don't have to get out of a bed a million times because they are usually pretty happy to be on my floor. However I don't let them fall asleep there. Only if it is the middle of the night because the last thing I want is to go up to go to bed and have a bunch of kids in my room. So there you go. Good luck and it will pass.

Summer said...

Zach asked Mia if she wanted to sleep in her own bed tonight and she said yes. It was too hot in our room, I guess. Yay!