Thursday, November 20, 2008

Week in Paradise

Here it is, the email you've all been waiting for. I'll try to give the more condensed version, because how do you explain "dream vacation" anyhow? Try to ignore the lameness of the way my pictures are laid out. I can't figure out how to make three in a row stay together! Anyhow...
We hopped on the Carnival Conquest in Galveston on Sunday and explored the ship. We had three days on the boat until our first port. Some of our favorite things to do on board were eat, lounge around, eat, talk with our friends, the Deibels, eat, play mini golf and shuffle board, eat, watch the shows, eat, enjoy our towel animals, and eat again. I think I was up 6 lbs. Not surprising. Can you imagine all the lobster, prime rib, filet mignon, chicken, chilled fruit soups, around-the-clock pizza bar, ice cream, room service, amazing desserts, breakfast buffets and on and on? But luckily, coming home and resuming normal life has taken off a couple of lbs already, so I'm not worried yet.

Our friends from WA, Chris and Sarah Jane were so fun to go with. They had been on a cruise before and showed us the ropes. I'm sure we wouldn't have had half the fun we did without them!
We enjoyed the sunset every night.




When we got to Jamaica, we had a harrowing drive through the countryside for about 2 hours on our way to YS Falls. The homes and people were beautiful there. The roads were not. Very small roads, two cars trying to plass along cliffsides where only one should fit. I have never been outside the US, so this was a new experience for me and I caught the bug -- the desire to see more new places and cultures. We got to the falls and we were able to rope swing into one of the levels, then zipline down the entire length of them. The weather was perfect, the tropical flowers amazing, and the jerked chicken was very tasty! No problem, mon (sorry, I had to).



We got to Grand Cayman Island and rode on a small boat to a sandbar a few miles from shore. There we got to visit these:


It felt icky at first, I'll admit. I'm not one for ocean or lake swimming usually. The unknowns brushing up against your leg... But once we got use to how gentle they were, it was an amazing experience.

The boat then took us to two separate snorkeling reefs. I have to admit, I felt a bit panicky at first trying to trust the equipment, but after a while relaxed and am so glad I did it. Pictured above is a Conch shell that one of our guides got for us from the ocean floor. The other picture is Matt eating a part of the conch that they removed from the shell (picture a giant snail). Not truly sure what this part is, it looks like a long clear gummy worm, but the guides assured us that we would appreciate it later. Grand Cayman also gave Matt something else he wouldn't appreciate later. A mondo sunburn.


Our last stop was Cozumel, Mexico, where we traveled to see the Mayan Ruins of Tulum. It is one of the only known Mayan ruins situated on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. It was believed to have been built in 900AD and abandoned in 1400AD. There were all kinds of hints to this culture taking beliefs from Nephite times. Top left is pictured the Temple of the Descending God and features a frescoe of a man upside down, as if coming to earth. Hmmm. It would have been very cool to take a tour from an LDS tour guide. That will have to be another trip.


Our one regret was not having more time to spend at this pristine beach situated just behind/below the ruins. What a unique experience it was to swim beneath them. The water was like 85 degrees, crystal clear, white sand. Perfect. Mmmm.

We sailed back to Texas, waited in the airport for 10 hours for a delayed plane, and made it back to SL by midnight. We were disappointed not to see the kiddos that night, but had a fun time talking with them in the morning. Miles was angry with me for about 2 hours. I can't really blame him. He's justified in being mad about not knowing where I was for 8 days. But thanks to loving grandmas and relatives, I'm sure the emotional damage was short lived. We're best buds again. Whenever I thought about how much I missed them, I remembered how Sister Hinckley used to always say that you better be sure that while you have kids at home, you are cultivating the kind of loving relationship that can last. Someday they will all grow up and move out and it will be just the two of you again. And didn't President David O McKay say something about how the best gift a father can give his children is to love their mother? Matt told the kids he was getting them a gift. Of course they were a little disappointed when he explained what he meant. Symbolism involving presents is lost on a 4 and 7 year old. But someday they will see it for what it is....

Happy 10th Anniversary!

7 comments:

KEYSHA said...

OH man. Officially jealous. Looks like you had a terrific time! (How beautiful and romantic!!!) 10 years! Wow! You totally deserve a trip like that. Glad everything went well; and by the way, you look awesome!

Kell's Belles said...

Ooh, I've been waiting for details! I'm glad you guys had so much fun. Ten years is a BIG deal and I'm glad you guys got to mark it in such a memorable way. Congratulations!

Summer said...

Those are the coolest pictures!! Hmm- I'm not done with the calendar, maybe I'll just fill the rest up with cruise pictures... ;D

That is so awesome!! I'm probably going to have to re-read this three times to appreciate it fully. I haven't even double-clicked all of the pics yet.

Woo hoo! Congratulations, you guys! Zach is grrreeeeeen! He just came over and freaked over the Mexico shots and said "Not for our tenth- but definitely for our fifteenth." Way to go- Ki, keep your little bro ambitious. ;D

Melissa said...

Oh, I've been checking in every day hoping I'd get to see some fun pics. I figured the kids aren't letting you out of their sight, and a few spare minutes on the computer to update a blog, just might be pushing it. It looks like you had an incredible time. The sun, the sand, that sunburn. That's what we Garber's do, burn and peel, burn and peel. Be prepared to be grilled on Sunday. I want every last detail. Dad will probably want every last detail about the food, so have Matt right up a cheat sheet about that. It is so great to have good friends to go with, and even greater to have a great hubby. Congrats again on ten event filled years.

Heidi said...

I am so glad to see the pics of the sting rays after hearing the stories - congrats on your continued blissful union... Also love the nice hairy man in the pic of you and shell - hehehe

NatRat said...

Ki, it looks like you had a blast...made me seriously jealous! Your right, everything looked just like it came from a postcard. I am so glad you got to do it, you deserve it!

Alisa said...

10 years wow! I can't believe you are old enough to be married for 10 years, but I can't believe I'm old enough to have a baby and I'm older than you! Congratulations, what a wonderful way to celebrate!