A book I just read is provoking one more thoughtful, deep post from me. I promise it won't happen very often! I read "The Necklace" which is pretty good, a story of 13 50-somethings who all contributed $1000 to buy a diamond necklace and share it. It was an interesting read and I liked some of the thoughts about how if we share, we can all access somethings we never could have afforded otherwise. Anyhow, my favorite part of the book was a quote at the beginning by Jean Shinoda Bolen: "Here we are, women who have been the beneficiaries of education, [I would add the restored gospel of Jesus Christ], resources, reproductive choice, travel opportunities, the Internet, and a longer life expectancy than women have ever had in history. What can and will we do?"I think the gospel tops the list for me -- there hasn't been a time in the history of the earth when the fulness has been available. Even something like reproductive choice, while at first was negative in connotation to me, still means that I can choose when and how many babies to have, while some women did/do not have that choice. We are blessed women! I think that I will try harder to remember that even when wiping a nose for the umpteenth time, or unloading the dishwasher for the 3rd time that day or changing diapers.... There are still many women in the world who do not have these blessings... "What can and will we do?"
And, if anyone wants to go in on a diamond necklace with me, I have counted out $1.49 I can contribute.
1 comment:
I'm in! For my contribution to the diamond necklace, I will "Ooh!" and "Aahh!" when I see it on the rest of you lovely ladies. ;D (I recently misplaced part of my wedding ring for the umpteenth time- we found it under the dryer. Me + jewelry = not good.)
Thanks for the reminder to be grateful!! It is so easy to forget, and so easy to be overwhelmed by gratitude for the amazingness we've been given. It's like being insane- the ability to be so completely unaware of our blessed surroundings some days! We've really got it all.
Post a Comment