So, Miles is 19 months old now and not yet really speaking, although he communicates volumes with us through body language and is very emotionally connected to us (not fearing autism or anything like that). I took him to the pediatrician and she said she likes kids his age to have 4-6 words and wants early intervention by 22 months if he's not talking yet. I've talked to other moms of little boys and they said that their boys were just slower than their girls, especially if they had a couple of older siblings to do the talking for them. It could definately be that his very verboise older sisters and harried mother of three provide for all his needs with a mere point of the finger from him. So far my intuition says, "don't worry too much quite yet," but I also remember my precocious daughters speaking in intelligible sentences by now. What do you think? When should I really worry?
(thanks for the blog title, kell)
14 comments:
I was a nanny many years ago to a two year old who only had one word for everything, "Da". He was an only child at that point, with two very attentive parents and a live in nanny - everything was anticipated for him, he didn't have a reason to talk. Lucky kid! I did, at the young age of 18, get to take him to speech therapy and learned with him how to actually narrate our play. I've found myself using the knowledge I gained from that experience with my own kids - from the time they were born, everything I did with them was narrated. I don't know if it helped, I don't think it hurt, other than Jesse can be an overwhelming chatter box!
I used to work in an early intervention program with the 2-3 year old children. They were in a "communication delayed" class. Many of those children did not show any signs of communication. Most of them began speaking in sentences by the end of the year. Miles shows signs of communication for sure. Even pointing and grunting is communication. When the children would point or grunt we were taught to always praise them for communicating and follow up with the right word. For example, "Good job! Are you saying you want the car. Here's the car." And accentuate the word "car". Also, pairing words with sign language is great. My friends little girl really likes the "Signing Times" videos. Before you know it he will be jabbering away! He is such a cutie pie!
You shouldn't worry too much- he's a darling kid and before you know it, he'll be jabbering away! Or...talking back as boys sometimes like to do. Enjoy a little peace while it lasts. Haha!
Don't worry about Miles' grunts. Half the guys I knew in high school communicated in grunts and look how far that got them. Miles will get there.
Jackson didn't speak in full sentences until he was two and a half. It was uh and ball, back hoe and la la (elmo) for at least two years, and now he never stops talking, in fact he is turning out to be the brightest of my children.
Thanks for your suggestions and all your reassurances. Just when you think you have parts of this mothering thing figured, new kids come and challenge what you thought you knew!
Our cousin's little boy was almost 4 when he started talking (one very verboise older sister and three younger). He got tested for deafness and all sorts of stuff and he was just waiting to be ready. He now talks great and has no issues - just in their own time I guess...I'm sure you know best...
I don't remember exactly at what age Greg started talking but I remember distinctly that it seemed like forever before he did. Graham (our oldest) was full sentences with me by 13 months. So Greg (who is quiet anyhow) I want to say it was closer to 17 or 18 months(??) before he really started opening up. I had to encourage it also by pretending sometimes that I didn't know what he was asking for! I'm sure he's fine!
Wasn't Einstein 4 before he started talking? As you pointed out, he IS a boy and he does have TWO older sisters to talk for him. I think you're right to go with your intuition and just keep an eye on the situation for the next six months to a year.
Meanwhile, I'm telling myself Einstein didn't potty train until he was 5 to make myself feel better about a certain one of MY children ;)
I think it must be a 3rd child thing. Abby is much slower at talking than McKenzie or Cameron were, but she is catching on quickly- so I am sure Miles will be talking up a storm soon.
I totally believe that about not needing to communicate, so not bothering to try. Anya (who is a month or so older than Miles for anyone who cares) gets everything Bree asks for, so just a couple of days ago, for the first time, she asked for "Ju?" (juice.) For everything else, she just whines. I should start playing dumb- haha. "What? why are you handing me that book? You want me to put it on your head? Okay- here you go." ;D
Little Miles. That's a great pic of him! I'm sure all is well. Just goes to show how different kids can be,,,even if they are from the same womb!
Ethan was the same way at 18 months. He had maybe 2 words, and he had just acquired them that week. I did start working more on labeling what he wanted when he would fuss for something and "celebrating" when he said something correctly. We have just worked on trying to give him the words for what he's trying to say. He turns two in a couple weeks and his language has boomed! He is using words a lot more and copying a lot of the things we say. He isn't speaking sentences yet, but is putting a few words together (ball all gone, bye-bye stories). I'm sure Miles is doing great! Oh, we also tried doing more signs accompanied with words, too. I feel a little out of place sharing my thoughts because you're a veteran!
Ok, just my opinion but I say follow your instincts. Miles is bright, you don't have to be with him long to see it. Just wait and see. :-)
Post a Comment