Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect

I teach about 14 students piano lessons -- love it -- and am trying my best to motivate them to practice. I've done contests for a good prize, like movie tickets; I have a "bonus bag" that I surprise them with every few weeks and if they did their full practicing, they get to choose a nice prize; I give a small treat each week for those who do all their practicing; I try to make sure their parents initial their practice time to make sure they know how much practicing is happening each week. Do you remember anything that helped you to practice? Can you think of anything else I can do?

8 comments:

Alisa said...

I think those all sound like great ideas. I didn't know you had that many students! Ok, here's my one idea and I'm stealing it from the dentist. I remember the "no cavity" wall where the dentist would take a photo of you and put it up on the wall if you had no cavities. I felt motivated to be on the wall and show everyone how good I was :-) Maybe a "practicing wall" which could be a poster that you bring out for lessons?

Summer said...

I always practiced a little harder when I knew I would be playing for something- like a recital, or when I got to choose the song I was to learn, and I really loved it.

I didn't know you had that many students, either! You've practically got a business going- awesome!

NatRat said...

Yeah...I didn't practice so much. Finally my mom said, "Nat I am going to give you a week, and if you don't practice I am pulling you out of piano..." So I didn't practice and I was taken out of piano...just what I wanted:) I probably should of stuck to it...

Heidi said...

We never got any treats - your kids are lucky! We just practiced or couldn't play outside - but that was my parents doing. They weren't going to pay for lessons of kids that weren't going to practice...

Kell's Belles said...

Wow, if my piano teacher had been as nice as you are, I may actually be able to play right now! It sounds like you're doing a very thorough job to help motivate your students!

Emily said...

Well,,,,I don't think anything would have ever motivated me to practice. Sadly. Of course I regret taking three years of lessons and have nothing to show for it. I didn't have a good experience, but my teachers weren't like you. Maybe that's what I needed. I think what it comes down to is the childs discipline and their desire to actually learn the instrument. Their parents may also have a great system for getting them to practice. After all, they are the ones paying. Keep up the good work Teacha!

Melissa said...

My piano teacher -- let's call her, Dorothy Sigardson, would dig her long fingernails into your hand when you missed a note. That helped keep up the motivation. So, you might want to start growing out your nails. : )

carter said...

Like Summer said: when a recital was coming up, you better believe I'd practice. Shame and disgrace in front of a group of one's peers is good motivation.