Sunday, August 3, 2008
Those Poor, Poor Bunnies
Yesterday, Hannah and Madelyn participated in a Primary Activity -- a Bicycle Prophet Parade. After they decorated their bikes with balloons and streamers, the kids rode around the park and stopped at different stations to learn about the prophets. At one station, a primary leader was telling a story about President Monson and how he has always had a loving heart. She told about how, when he was 8, he found out that a little friend of his was going to have nothing but cereal with water for Christmas Dinner. President Monson decided that this was not okay, so he took 2 rabbits he had been raising and gave them to the family for their Christmas Dinner. Madelyn piped right up and said, "But I love bunnies," absolutely shocked that people would eat bunnies. After all, isn't that reserved for big bad wolves? I guess the lesson on charity was lost on a little 4 year-old, to whom it was less than charitable to feed bunnies to someone.... Someday I'm sure Madelyn will come to love how our prophet focuses on service and loving the individual. Until then, no rabbit meat for us for Christmas Dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ha ha! She's going to love this story someday. Good thing you're keeping track of this stuff- ha!
I can just hear her voice. Oh the humanity! Not the bunnies! Given a choice I think I'd take the cereal too. Please note - said comment is not meant to disparage our generous and charitable prophet:) Just to concur with equally generous and charitable four year old.
Ahh yes...I would take a nice bowl of cereal any day over Easter Bunny, ummm I mean rabbit meat. She cracks me up!
Hilarious! You gotta love those honest reactions that kids have. You should have heard Chloe when she first heard the story of Abinadi . . . thankfully that was in the privacy of our own home! I now understand why we are counseled to study the scriptures at home (answer: to avoid embarrassing scenes at primary. Only slightly kidding there!). Madelyn is too cute! And I love the bike parade concept. I'm filing that one away in my brain in case I ever have to plan a primary activity day!
Post a Comment