We had a scary event during church yesterday. Miles is at that age where he loves nothing more than to stand up, hold on to the back of the bench, and face backward to look at all those nice people. So I'm sitting next to him, he is near the aisle edge standing backward, I get distracted by another child and am not holding onto him, and you guessed it, he went headfirst over the side of the bench and landed in the middle of the aisle with a loud thunk -- right on his face. I grabbed him up as fast as I could and raced to the nearest door, ready to run outside for that first loud scream. I was happy to discover that he seemed fine, just a little tired and cuddly after that (but I didn't know if it was from the trauma of the fall or because he was missing a morning nap at church). He has a little scratch on his nose, but other than that seems OK. I guess accidents happen to everyone. It just wasn't fun to have half the ward witness my lapse in mothering.... Of course everyone who saw was very kind and relayed all of their stories of horrible spills with kids and I quickly saw how this could have been much, much worse .. thankful he's okay.
Today I had a visit with a good friend from my DI days. She said something that was so nice! Of course, she commented that my kids look so much like Matt. If I had a penny for every time I heard that.... But then she said (and she's from China, so this is probably Ancient Chinese Wisdom) that when your kids look a lot like your husband that means you have great love for him. And I just thought it was those dominant Garber Genes! If my kids' resemblance of him are any indication of how much I love him, then that is a gi-normous amount of love. And it is true -- I love you Matt!
4 comments:
Don't feel bad, Kiley! I think everyone's kid falls off the pew one time or another. I know all three of mine have! The fact that this is your first just shows what a GREAT mother you are :) I'm glad Miles is okay!
I LOVE that Chinese proverb about the mother loving the father . . . Now you have a clever reply to those people commenting on the "Garb-ness" of the kiddos!
I read that in the only sci-fi/fantasy book I've ever picked up! The king of the goblins kidnaps a girl to be his wife, and their child's physical characteristics depict all the things that she has learned to love about her husband. Of course, that included silver hair and a claw for a hand- so I'm thinking the Chinese version definitely applies better here...
Oh, and another theory on why they all look like Matt- he has more babyish features. Have you noticed that the older Hannah gets the more she's beginning to look like her mom? Not that your love for Matt will fade, but we think the reseblance might lean your direction a tad more as time passes. :-)
But who cares what they look like anyway. *insert "Full House" plot resolution music* It's what's on the inside that counts. *Group hug*
Kiley Kiley, those boys are just bad news. Drew fell down the stairs three times (once being at a Easter event at my mom's house so everyone witnessed it). He's had stitches near his eye, staples in the back of his head, a seizure, there is always a scratch or a bruise on his body, he's fallen out of the shopping cart, and been found walking in the middle of State Street.Half of the events could have been prevented if I was a little bit more on my toes, but that's life and we just thank God that He still allows our kids to live regardless of our stupidity. Your still a great mom, whatever happens and luckily every other mom has had some sort of experience to share with you during those times.
Kayla jumped off the bench in church THIS Week! Same thing - She was facing the people behind us, and I was handing something to Ashley. I luckily had a hand shadowing kayla behind me, so I felt her fall, and snatched at her - I managed to catch her a hair above the floor, so she wasn't really hurt. whew. But I'm sure all our kids have dived before, too. Fun chating with you today! Sarah Jane
Post a Comment