Okay, so I just finished "The Host" in time for the final Twilight book... I am interested in anyone else's thoughts about this book. I actually really liked it, all except the weird science-fictiony descriptions of aliens. The reason I liked it is because the heroine (you know, the hero, not the drug) seems smarter and more mature than Ella in Twilight. Kelly and I discussed how Ella is kind of a scary role model for teen girls, always getting herself into dangerous situations and thinking that dangerous love is the best kind and "oh, my love will change everything" etc. But Wanda is a likable, smart, altruistic alien. But of course, this book is more for adults, not teens. And maybe Bella will end up being smarter in the final book?Monday, July 21, 2008
Okay, so I just finished "The Host" in time for the final Twilight book... I am interested in anyone else's thoughts about this book. I actually really liked it, all except the weird science-fictiony descriptions of aliens. The reason I liked it is because the heroine (you know, the hero, not the drug) seems smarter and more mature than Ella in Twilight. Kelly and I discussed how Ella is kind of a scary role model for teen girls, always getting herself into dangerous situations and thinking that dangerous love is the best kind and "oh, my love will change everything" etc. But Wanda is a likable, smart, altruistic alien. But of course, this book is more for adults, not teens. And maybe Bella will end up being smarter in the final book?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My friend just recommended the Twilight series- I have yet to begin. Which do you think I should read first? This or those? Or should I finish "Colbert's I am America: And So Can You" first? I'm only 40 pages in, but so far it's pretty pointless. Funny- but pointless.
I don't know what's happened to me. I'm a die hard Jane Austen, Willa Cather, Thomas Hardy fan. Where do aliens, vampires, and werewolves fit into this picture? Why do I like these books so much? I agree with you about the heroine -- she's strong and willful with an internal conflict that made me very invested in her outcome and well being. I actually shed some tears during my reading. I think what it comes down to is that the power of good verses evil, doing the right thing even when the right thing is difficult, and good old unrequited love triangles, make fantastic literary themes. I don't want to be a spoiler so I won't comment on specifics but we'll have to talk.
I WANT to like Stephanie Meyer, so I'm willing to give her another chance (just not with more Twilight books!). I'll have to give this a shot. I'll let you know when I finish and we can discuss.
Okay, I'm a huge Stephenie Meyer fan, but I had a hard time getting into this book. I still finished it, and I'm glad I did, but I like a book that I have to stay up until 3:00 am and neglect all my other duties to read. Maybe not that intense, but I'm REALLY looking forward to Breaking Dawn. I'll be at the midnight release party for that one. (Nerd alert)
Post a Comment